Healthy Homemade Hummus
This hummus recipe is not only the BEST hummus you’ll ever make, it may also be the easiest!
Hummus is a great source of dietary fiber, which can improve digestive health. On average, hummus provides 6 grams of dietary fiber per 3.5 ounces. Fiber is crucial to promoting probiotic health. A fiber-rich diet can help feed your gut microbiome.
Did You Know
There are two types of fibers that the body needs: soluble and insoluble fibers. Soluble fibers are fibers that easily dissolve in water and turn into a gel-like substance that aids digestion in a number of ways. It can help improve your body's blood glucose levels and may help lower the risk of diabetes.
Insoluble fibers are fibers that do not dissolve in water. These fibers pass through your digestive tract and help soften stool so that waste can pass through your body easier. These fibers primarily help improve and maintain regularity, but they also help support insulin sensitivity, which also decreases the risk of developing diabetes.
When combined with probiotics, both of these fiber types help properly extract nutrients from food and expel waste from the body with more ease. Both of these fibers are necessary for probiotics to function properly and help prevent excess fats from being stored during a weight loss regimen.
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 2–5 tbsp. cold water
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 medium cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- optional toppings: extra drizzle of olive oil, chopped fresh parsley, smoked paprika, toasted pine nuts
- Add the tahini, cold water, olive oil, cumin, salt, garlic, and lemon juice to a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Add in the chickpeas. Puree for 3-4 minutes, pausing halfway to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Keep pureeing until it is smooth. Add in another tablespoon or two of water until the consistency is just right.
- Season to taste using additional salt, cumin, and/or lemon juice if needed.
- Serve immediately, garnished with your desired toppings, or transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
(Recipe adapted from Gimme Some Oven)