Teriyaki Chicken Bowls
Layers of coconut rice, grilled veggies, fruit, and chicken make this bowl a tropical treat that will be welcome at any table. It's colorful, it's flavorful and sure to please all picky palates.
For the chicken:
- 6 chicken tenders (or 3 chicken breasts)
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- ½ pineapple, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 1 ½ c canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tsp light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups brown rice, well rinsed and drained
For the sauce:
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- ¼ cup + 1 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. honey
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp cornstarch+ 2 tsp water, mixed together to make a cornstarch slurry
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Combine 2 cups of water, coconut milk, sugar, and salt in large saucepan. Bring to a simmer, then stir in the rice.
- Return to a gentle rolling boil, cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the rice gently with a fork.
- Make the teriyaki sauce by adding all of the sauce ingredients to a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and boil for about 1 minute. The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the teriyaki sauce over the raw chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes (or longer if using chicken breasts).
- Prepare your grill or grill pan and heat it to a medium heat.
- Cut the vegetables into large pieces that will not fall through the grill grates.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the vegetables and over the pineapple strips. Grill the vegetables for just a few minutes on each side and then set aside.
- Grill the pineapple next by placing the pineapple strips directly on the grill. Grill for about 2 minutes on each side, and set aside.
- Lastly, place the chicken on the grill. Cook for about a few minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove to a plate to rest before slicing.
- Add the coconut rice to each serving bowl. Top with grilled veggies, pineapple and chicken. Drizzle a little of the remaining teriyaki sauce.
(Recipe adapted from Tastes Better From Scratch)