Beet Salad with Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
Beets are an early summer harvest favorite with their sweet yet earthy flavor and an impressive nutritional profile. This simple salad recipe shared with us by Dr. Maggie Ney, ND uses both the root and greens of the beet plant and is topped with a tangy Dijon dressing that adds an overall brightness to the dish.
- 4 beets with greens
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- Feta cheese (optional, to sprinkle on top)
- 3 Tablespoons of cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Tablespoon of finely chopped fresh basil
Place all dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well. Set aside
To toast pumpkin seeds:
- Place seeds in a dry skillet over medium heat.
- Move the skillet back and forth while mixing seeds with a wooden spoon.
- When seeds begin to puff up, they are ready.
- Move seeds from the skillet and place on a plate to cool.
To prepare beetroots:
- Remove greens from beets (save the greens)
- Wash beets and place in a large pot covered with water, bring to a boil then lower heat to simmer until beets can be cut through, about 45-60 minutes
- Set aside to cool
- Once cool, hold beet under cold water while pushing the skin off with your fingers.
- Cut into small cubes and set aside
To prepare beet greens:
- Wash greens
- Bring 2 quarts of water to boil
- Submerge beet greens for 15 seconds
- Pour greens into a colander and let cool. Squeeze out excess water with your hands.
- Chop into bite size pieces
Putting it all together:
- Put greens, cubed beets, pumpkin seeds, and scallion in a salad bowl. Pour dressing over and gently toss.
- Crumble feta cheese on top if desired.