What to wear to feel confident through peri/menopause
Feeling confident through your wardrobe choices during peri/menopause
Gone are the days when you can’t wear something because you are “too old”. If we have learned anything from the ladies of “And Just Like That” it is that, just because we hit midlife we don’t need to dress like the ladies of “The Golden Girls.” You don’t need to wear pastels and a twin set. Instead, choose styles and silhouettes that make you feel confident. Here is a guide to get you through pre/peri/post/menopause without having to stress about what not to wear.
First things first
It’s time to Marie Kondo your closet. For two weeks track what you really wear in your closet. Do this by leaving the items out that you have worn or turning the hanger on the items you have worn in your closet. After the two weeks are over, what you have gone back to over and over will be your capsule wardrobe. Now, go through the rest of your clothes and decide if you really need them. Do they compliment your body? Do they make you feel confident? If not, let them go.
A big item to remove from your wardrobe during midlife is capri pants. They hit at an unflattering part of your body and can make you look wider than you really are. It’s all about elongating the body, so try wearing pants that hit at the ankle instead.
It’s time to shop!
Now that you have your capsule wardrobe it’s time to add a few items to bring excitement to your wardrobe. Shopping should be a fun experience. Follow a few of these simple rules and you will have a successful trip to the store!
Here are the rules!
- Don’t shop for price. Many of us head to the back of the store searching for deals and buy a lot of items we really don’t need. Instead, focus on comfort and flattery when making your purchases.
- Do your homework. Search Pinterest and create a board to focus on the items you need to fill your wardrobe. Be it a great denim jacket to add a layer, a great pair of comfortable pants that are flattering, or a statement necklace.
- Find a style star to inspire how you want your wardrobe to look. Here are a few ladies doing it right in midlife:
-Tracee Ellis Ross
-Alyson Walsh, Founder of That’s Not My Age
-Renia Jaz, Founder of Ven’s Wife Style and Ageism Fighter
-Mette, Fashion Influencer @msorrig
-Tennille Murphy, Founder of The Tennille Life
4. Set a time limit. Give yourself an hour in the store searching and trying everything on. This way you stay focused and don’t give up.
5. Don’t be afraid to ask for help. You have a list of what you are looking for and the sales reps are there to point you in the right direction.
How to dress joyfully
Research shows that color can affect your mood, behavior, and stress levels. Since many women in peri/menopause can be affected by anxiety and depression adding color to the wardrobe seems like a great way to promote positive vibes. You don’t need to rush into this. There are ways to add color that won’t be overwhelming for someone who usually wears jeans and a t-shirt. Here are a few tips:
- Start with accessories like sunnies and a fab scarf. Jewelry, shoes, and handbags are great ways to incorporate color into your wardrobe.
- Wear a bold lip color! Color doesn’t just have to be with your wardrobe!
- After you have started feeling confident with your accessories, move into the next step of adding color to your wardrobe by adding a colorful top. Keep the rest of the look neutral (think khaki, forest green, denim, camel, white-whatever works for you) so it won’t be overwhelming. Figure out what colors compliment your skin color. When people compliment you with a style or a color you are wearing, take note of what you are wearing so you can get more of that style. Who doesn’t love receiving compliments?
- If you are ready to jump into a bold color choice, go for a monochromatic look! Sets are trending right now and are a great option because you can wear one color from head to toe and once you feel comfortable, you can start mixing the pieces separately with other items in your wardrobe.
Trends that are perfect for peri/menopause right now!
Trends are fun, but it isn’t always necessary to follow them. Use them to inspire you with the items you already have in your wardrobe. Here are a few that can work for you now:
- Wear a dress with sneakers
- Wear a suit with sneakers
- Wide belts
- Style hack: The front tuck
- Ankle-length pants
- As @bjonestyle always says, #makeitbetterwithablazer! A blazer is such a great layering piece for any body type! There are so many styles out there to choose from! Find the style that compliments your body.
- Very-Peri is the Pantone color for 2022. Periwinkle is a light blue/gray color. It’s great paired with browns and tans.
- Another color that the fashion world has been loving for the past few seasons is lime green. It is definitely a strong color that can be paired with a khaki to not overwhelm the rest of the look. This is also a great color to try out with accessories.
Now, go out there and strut your stuff
Fashion is fun. Don’t worry about what people think. If you feel good in what you are wearing, that will reflect on the people around you. What is your go-to style in mid-life? Share with us in the comments below!