Wraps are a go-to lunch for many people. This grilled veggie and hummus wrap is delicious, easy to prepare, and healthy!
Many of the ingredients in this recipe are great sources of dietary fiber, which can improve digestive health. On average, one zucchini provides 2 grams of dietary fiber. Hummus provides 6 grams per every 6.3 oz. serving and kale 2.6 grams per cup. Fiber is crucial to promoting probiotic health. A fiber-rich diet can help feed your gut microbiome.
Did You Know
There are two types of fibers that the body needs: soluble and insoluble fibers. Soluble fibers are fibers that easily dissolve in water and turn into a gel-like substance that aids digestion in a number of ways. It can help improve your body's blood glucose levels and may help lower the risk of diabetes.
Insoluble fibers are fibers that do not dissolve in water. These fibers pass through your digestive tract and help soften stool so that waste can pass through your body easier. These fibers primarily help improve and maintain regularity, but they also help support insulin sensitivity, which also decreases the risk of developing diabetes.
When combined with probiotics, both of these fiber types help properly extract nutrients from food and expel waste from the body with more ease. Both of these fibers are necessary for probiotics to function properly and help prevent excess fats from being stored during a weight loss regimen.
- 1 zucchini (sliced lengthwise)
- salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tomato (sliced)
- 1/8 cup red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 cup kale (roughly chopped and stems removed)
- 2 slices cheese (optional)
- 2 tortillas
- 4 tbsp. hummus
- Heat a skillet or grill pan to medium heat.
- Remove the ends from the zucchini and slice lengthwise into thin strips. Spritz sliced zucchini in olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place sliced zucchini directly on heated surface and let cook for 3 minutes, flip and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Set aside to slightly cool.
- Place the tortillas on heated surface until tortillas are pliable.
- Place tortillas on a plate and assemble wraps as follows: Smear 2 tablespoons of hummus on one side of the tortilla, layer one slice of cheese, zucchini slices, 1/2 cup kale, onion and tomato slices on the other side.
- Wrap tightly and enjoy!
(Recipe adapted from Maebells)