Lentil tacos have just have much protein, half the fat, and tons more fiber!
Lentils are an excellent source of dietary fiber, which can improve digestive health. On average, one cup of cooked lentils provides 16 grams of dietary fiber. Fiber is crucial to promoting probiotic health. A fiber-rich diet can help feed your gut microbiome.
Did You Know
Fiber is crucial to promoting probiotic health. A fiber-rich diet can help feed probiotics. But how does fiber help probiotic health? There are four key benefits that come from eating a diet rich in fiber.
One, fiber slows the rate that sugar is absorbed into the bloodstream. When you eat foods high in fiber, such as beans and whole grains, the sugar in those foods is absorbed slower, which keeps your blood glucose levels from spiking which can lead to overeating.
Two, fiber makes your intestines work faster. When you eat whole grains rich in insoluble fiber, it moves faster through your intestines, which can tell your body that you are full.
Three, fiber cleans your colon. Fiber helps clean out bacteria and other buildup in your intestines, and reduces your risk for colon cancer.
Finally, fiber helps keep you regular. A high-fiber diet helps you have soft, regular stool, reducing constipation.
- 2 cups of cooked lentils
- 1 white onion, finely diced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1–2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup of vegetable broth
- Corn tortillas
- Taco toppings: shredded lettuce, salsa, guacamole, etc.
For the taco seasoning:
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a large frying pan, over medium high heat, sweat the onion in 1 tbsp. oil. Stir frequently, about 4-5 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and taco seasoning mixture and cook for another minute or two, stirring frequently.
- While you are cooking this, warm the tortillas. You can do this in the oven or microwave.
- Add the lentils and stir to combine. Add the vegetable broth and using a potato masher or fork, gently mash the lentils until they start to look like ground meat. Cook another few minutes until hot. If the lentils start to dry out, add another tbsp. or two of vegetable broth.
- Place a heaping spoonful or two into the taco shell and add your fillings. The filling will make about 10-12 tacos, depending on how full you make your tacos.
(Recipe adapted from Delish Knowledge)
Shockingly, more women suffer from heart attacks than men
A woman's risk of heart attack doubles as she transitions through menopause. Our research partner, Dr. John Konhilas, was the one to uncover the fact that one of the proprietary probiotics in MenoGLow and MenoFit actually cuts this risk in half.*
Are you struggling with weight gain and you're over 35?
The changes that come with aging can make losing weight more difficult. That’s why we’ve combined our best-selling menopause relief probiotic, MenoFit, Happy Fiber, and a complete nutrition and exercise plan designed for women in midlife.