Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
This is a healthy and delicious version of a holiday favorite.
Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of dietary fiber, which can improve digestive health. On average, one cup of sweet potato provides 4 grams of dietary fiber. Fiber is crucial to promoting probiotic health. A fiber-rich diet can help feed your gut microbiome.
Did You Know
Fiber is crucial to promoting probiotic health. A fiber-rich diet can help feed your gut microbiome. But how does fiber help probiotic health?
There are four key benefits that come from eating a diet rich in fiber.
One, fiber slows the rate that sugar is absorbed into the bloodstream. When you eat foods high in fiber, such as beans and whole grains, the sugar in those foods is absorbed slower, which keeps your blood glucose levels from spiking which can lead to overeating.
Two, fiber makes your intestines work faster. When you eat whole grains rich in insoluble fiber, it moves faster through your intestines, which can tell your body that you are full.
Three, fiber cleans your colon. Fiber helps clean out bacteria and other buildup in your intestines, and reduces your risk for colon cancer.
Four, fiber helps keep you regular. A high-fiber diet helps you have soft, regular stool, reducing constipation.
For the Sweet Potato Filling
- 3 lbs. of sweet potato (3 medium-sized sweet potatoes)
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Oat Pecan Crumble
- ¾ cup pecans
- ¾ cup rolled oats, ½ cup blended into oat flour
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp. melted vegan butter or coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise and place cut-side down on a baking tray.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until tender.
- Let them cool for 6-7 minutes on the tray then remove the skins. The skins should peel off very easily.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the oat pecan topping. Blend 1/2 cup of the oats into fine oat flour using a food processor. Add the rest of the topping ingredients and pulse to combine into a crumbly mixture.
- Transfer the peeled, cooked sweet potato to a baking dish and mash with a potato masher. Stir in the rest of the filling ingredients. Alternatively, for extra creamy filling, add the cooked sweet potato to a large mixing bowl and mix with an immersion blender or hand-held electric mixer, blending in the rest of the filling ingredients.
- Spread the sweet potato filling in an 8×8 inch baking dish or a 1.5-2 qt. oven-safe casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the oat pecan topping evenly over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
(Recipe adapted from Running On Real Food)
Shockingly, more women suffer from heart attacks than men
A woman's risk of heart attack doubles as she transitions through menopause. Our research partner, Dr. John Konhilas, was the one to uncover the fact that one of the proprietary probiotics in MenoGLow and MenoFit actually cuts this risk in half.*
Are you struggling with weight gain and you're over 35?
The changes that come with aging can make losing weight more difficult. That’s why we’ve combined our best-selling menopause relief probiotic, MenoFit, Happy Fiber, and a complete nutrition and exercise plan designed for women in midlife.