Farm Fresh Chicken & Sweet Potato Salad
This chicken salad is hearty and full of fall colors and flavors!
Pecans are a great source of dietary fiber, which can improve digestive health. On average, a cup of pecans has 10 grams of dietary fiber. Meanwhile, skinless chicken breast is a great source of protein with 31 grams of protein per 100 grams of meat.
For the salad:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 1 lbs. chicken breast (skinless)
- 1 ½ cups whole cranberries
- ½ cup halved pecans
- ¼ cup packed parsley, roughed chopped
- 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp avocado oil, divided
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper, to taste
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup orange juice (about ½ large orange)
- 2 tsp tahini
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ginger
- salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with baking paper. Mix diced sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, salt, and pepper. Place on the baking sheets and roast in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes bake, make the chicken. Mix the garlic, ginger, cinnamon, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Rub the spices evenly over the chicken.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 1 teaspoon of the avocado oil and wait until it sizzles in the pan, about 30 seconds. Cook the chicken breast until cooked through and no pink remains, around 20 minutes. Once it is done, remove from the heat and let it cool. Shred with a fork or pull it apart with your hands.
- To make the dressing, mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
- Place the chicken, cranberries, pecans, parsley, and cooked sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Pour dressing over the salad and mix well.
(Recipe adapted from Eat the Gains)